Birth control methods have been a most important matter which is considered nowadays by teenagers and women. There are various birth control methods available in the market. The intrauterine Contraceptive device has one of the age old device which has been used by last two generation. This device has been effectively used my most women due to its effectiveness. Today we are going to have a more detailed information about Intrauterine Contraceptive Device.
The intrauterine contraceptive device is also known as IUD is a small T-shaped device which has a string at its end. This intrauterine contraceptive device must be inserted or removed by a doctor. The IUD is inserted into your uterus to prevent pregnancy. Ones it is placed the string hangs one to two inches into your vagina which helps you to understand it is in the right place and also is useful while removing it. IUD must not be used by pregnant ladies. People who are allergic to copper or suffering from cancer in cervix or uterus must not use the IUD.
Types of IUD
There are two different types of intrauterine contraceptive device. One is copper IUD also known as Paragard and the other one is Hormone progestin IUD. The copper IUD prevents sperm from reaching and ovulating the eggs. The hormone IUD thickens the cervix muscle and does not allow sperm to reach the eggs. It also prevents the eggs being released from ovaries.
Time to work and how much it is effective
The copper IUD starts working and is effective ones it is inserted. But for hormone IUD, you need to wait for seven days to work effectively. During seven days if you have sex you need to take other measures to prevent from getting pregnant.
The copper IUD is effective for ten years. The hormone IUD is effective for three to five years depending on the brand you are using. If you want to become pregnant then you must ask your doctor to remove it.
Advantages and disadvantages of using IUD:
- Prevents pregnancy till the time you want up to ten years depending on the type of IUD you are using.
- It is cost effective.
- The whole process is very convenient as you do not need to remember anything on a regular basis.
- You can check easily at any point of time.
- Can be easily removed by a doctor.
- You can use it while you are breastfeeding.
- The IUD has fewer side effects.
- Can create cramps and pain while inserted.
- It cannot protect from any sexually transmitted disease so need to use condoms while sex.
- Spotting can be noticed while three to six months.
- Can cause infection if you are allergic to copper.
- Can cause heavy bleeding and strong cramps during periods.
- Can cause irregular periods.
- The uterus can get injured in the rare case while inserting the IUD.
You can easily check ones in a month while checking the string if it is in the right place. If you feel the IUD while checking the string then you must check with a doctor as there are high chance that your IUD got misplaced which may not control you from unwanted pregnancy. So get it placed right immediately. It is always advisable to check with the doctor at regular interval if the Intrauterine Contraceptive Devices is in the right position. The IUD is one of the most trusted sources for birth control methods which is used worldwide.