For so many women their self image is tied up in their bodies. They judge themselves critically. What can you do about sagging breasts? Very little (don't worry there are a few things). Getting older is a medical condition that is practically unavoidable. And preferable to the alternative.
What are your breasts made of? Mammary glands, milk ducts, blood, fat and ligaments called Coopers Ligaments. The amount of fat in your breasts determines their size and shape. There are no muscles in your breasts so exercise doesn't change them. When breasts sag it is called ptosis.
What causes breasts to sag?
- Partially heredity. Nothing you can do about that.
- Smoking. Smoking destroys elastin, the protein that gives skin its elasticity.
- Running, jogging or vigorous exercise without a sports bra. The movement may stretch the ligaments that support your breasts.
- Pregnancy, also significant weight gain and loss. The breasts expand and shrink (or shrink and then expand) with pregnancy and weight fluctuations. It stretches the ligaments that support your breasts.
- Menopause. During menopause you lose estrogen and that reduces breast size and firmness. Estrogen is also essential for collagen.
What does not cause breasts to sag?
- Breastfeeding. There's no evidence that breastfeeding has an effect on sagging.
- Going braless. Perversely when you wear a bra, the muscle tissues that support your breasts may not develop as well. The Coopers Ligaments that support them may atrophy from not being used. Going braless, at least part of the time, might be a good idea.
What can you do about it?
- Don't smoke
- Wear a sports bra when you run, jog or exercise
- Keep a stable weight. Lose weight sloly.
- Protect your breasts from UV rays. The sun ages your skin. It damages the collagen in your breasts. Sunscreen is your friend.
- Vitamin C! It slows the breakdown of collagen.
You can't stop the clock. Your breasts are going to sag someday. Can you slow it down? To a degree. There are plenty of products (not surgery, not implants) that claim to make your breasts look firmer and shaplier. Not all of them work. The one that I recommend can be found at tinyurl.com/qfe5fm5. I like it because it uses no estrogen, its ingredients are natural and cannot hurt you, ingredients like aloe vera, black cohosh, vitamin E and saw palmetto. It uses fatty acids called prostoglandins that regulate the blood flow to glands, especially mammary glands. It will cause a surge of blood to your breasts that will improve their shape and size. As long as you don't expect miracles, it will make your breasts firmer and you will get value for your money.