Breast health is becoming increasingly important as more and more women risk developing breast cancer each year. Fortunately there are some informative breast health tips that you can follow to ensure that your breasts remain as healthy as possible throughout your lifetime. Some of these tips can help to catch breast cancer in the earliest stages, ensuring it can be treated quickly, some may even help to prevent breast cancer altogether.
Self Examine Your Breasts
One of the most useful breast health tips is to self examine your breasts at least one per month. This is a fairly easy process that can be done by yourself or a partner in the comfort of your home. Follow these simple steps to complete a breast exam of your own.
- Observe your breasts in the mirror as you stand with your hands at your side. Look for any bumps or variations in their normal shape.
- While standing place one hand behind your head, and begin to feel firmly around the breast with your fingertips. You can do this in a circular motion, an up and down motion, or in a wedge motion, but you need to remember to do it the same way each month.
- Squeeze the nipple of each breast. If you notice any discharge and you are not breastfeeding, report it to your doctor right away.
- Lie down and place a pillow behind your right shoulder. Extend your right arm behind your head and use your left hand to check your entire breast and arm pit area. Then reposition the pillow and do the same thing for your other breast.
- Report any abnormalities that you may encounter during your exam to your doctor right away.
Correct Breast FeedingUsing proper breast feeding techniques will not only make the whole process more enjoyable,
but it can lower your risk of developing breast cancer as well.
The following, useful breast health tips will help you understand how to correctly breast feed.
- To help eliminate enlargement of the breasts, breast feed more frequently and be sure to pump your breast milk if you ever miss a scheduled feed.
- Be sure to properly position the baby while breast feeding. Whether you choose the cradle, football, or side lying position, ensure that the baby is in the proper position.
- After each feeding apply lanolin oil to your breasts. This will help to prevent your breasts from cracking and drying out.
- Feed every one and a half to two hours in the first few months after your baby is born to keep your breasts from becoming engorged, and to discourage the formation of blocked milk ducts.
Breast Health during MenopauseDuring menopause you have a lot to worry about. To make matters worse, your
chance of developing breast cancer greatly increases during these years. However, there
are several breast health tips that you can follow to help reduce the rick of breast cancer.
- Arrange an annual mammogram screening.
- Regularly perform a breast self examine once per month
- Try to exercise daily and avoid gaining excess weight.
- Try to reduce your alcohol consumption or limit it within health guidelines.
- Be sure to get your daily dose of folic acid vitamin D.
At all stages of your life, no matter what age you are, it is important to take steps to keep your breasts healthy and cancer free. The breast health tips above are just a few of the ways that you can keep your breasts healthy. By investing a little time and discussing breast health with your doctor you can minimize any risks involved during the key times in your life.
In the modern world our quest for beauty is tireless. When you look in the mirror what do you see, what jumps out at you. Do you see pimples and wrinkles. Do you see clear glowing skin or sallow tired flesh and dull lank hair. Do you look at your naked body in wonder and think…. I like me.